Stefan Fatsis and Josh Levin talk with Slate’s Alex Kirshner about the racist, sexist, and homophobic emails written by now-former NFL head coach Jon Gruden. Writer Roberto José Andrade Franco joins to discuss Mexican-American soccer star Ricardo Pepi. Finally, Chantel Jennings of the Athletic breaks down the WNBA playoffs.
• Support Hang Up and Listen by subscribing to Slate Plus.
• Gruden resigned as head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders after the New York Times revealed a series of homophobic and misogynistic remarks written in emails over seven years.
• Earlier, the Wall Street Journal reported a Gruden email that used vile racist tropes to describe the executive director of the NFL Players Association, DeMaurice Smith.
• Gruden’s remarks were discovered in a cache of 650,000 emails that were part of an investigation of the toxic workplace culture at the Washington Football Team.
• Bomani Jones’ The Right Time episode on Gruden.
• Follow Roberto José Andrade Franco on Twitter and read his ESPN story, “The unstoppable dreams of USMNT prodigy Ricardo Pepi.”
• Eric Betts wrote in Slate about Pepi scoring three goals in his first two appearances for the United States men’s national team, wins over Jamaica and Honduras.
• Julián Araujo told the Athletic’s Felipe Cardenas why he chose to represent Mexico rather than the United States. David Ochoa wrote about making the same decision on the Players’ Tribune.
• In the Athletic, Jennings wrote about the Chicago Sky’s 91-77 win over the Phoenix Mercury in Game 1 of the WNBA Finals and explained the league’s travel and arena woes.
• Read Kavitha A. Davidson’s story in the Athletic, “The WNBA shouldn’t have to fight for respect in 2021.”
• Possible GOAT Candace Parker left the Los Angeles Sparks after 12 years to play with her hometown team, the Sky.
Hang Up and Listen’s weekly James Wade:
Josh’s James Wade: In search of a new take on “it’s not about the X’s and O’s it’s about the Jims and Joes.”
On this week’s bonus segment, Stefan, Josh, and Alex Kirshner talk about Texas A&M’s 41-38 upset win over Alabama.
Podcast production and edit by Kevin Bendis.
You can email us at email@example.com.
Read More: Jon Gruden, Ricardo Pepi, and the WNBA playoffs on Hang Up and Listen. 2021-10-12 23:18:00